Monday, November 24, 2014

Decorating like an Ace at Duff's Cake Mix

On Saturday, a volunteer committee that I'm on hosted an hour-long interactive event at Duff's Cake MixOh, and for those of you who are wondering, yes, the "Duff" in question absolutely is Duff Goldman, famed TV personality behind Ace of Cakes.
Prior to the event, an order form was circulated to our group via email, where we were to choose from either cupcakes or a cake, our desired cup/cake flavor and, if we went the cake route, which color of fondant icing.  I chose a "funfetti" cake with swirled red and orange fondant icing.  What?  They're Thanksgiving colors

When we arrived at Duff's for our 11AM appointment, there was a long, rectangular table reserved for our group.  In front of each chair was our designated dessert order ready to be decorated.  By us! 


Everything you can imagine, from cookie cutters and scissors to the aid of Duff's employees, was provided for our decorating disposal. 
While some of my fellow committee members knew what and how they wanted to design their cake/cupcakes from the get-go, I was stumped.  I decided to play around with a pastry bag and pipe buttercream icing along the edges; I figured that, from there, some sort of decorating light bulb would magically go off in my head. 
Let's just say that the good thing about fondant is, if you do mess up, you can literally wipe the buttercream away and start anew.  So, that's what I did.  About three times...


The finished product: A messy, bright yellow buttercream smear - topped with brown sugar crystals - encircled the bottom of the cake.  My masterpiece was crowned with a single green maple leaf that I shaped out of fondant. 


Knowing that I could have easily consumed my 6", 3-layer cake in its entirety, I decided to bring it to the office and share it with my colleagues.  Needless to say, it - and I - was the hit of the day!

If you're looking for a deliciously creative idea for your next event/birthday party, or just to hone your cake decorating skills, look no further than Duff's Cake Mix

...

Lindsay, Beverly Hills Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment