Thursday, September 25, 2014

Reviewed: Postmates, a food/shopping delivery service (plus a special reader bonus!)

**Because Postmates, the newest food/shopping delivery service, is still new and trying to get the word out, they graciously extended a discount to my first twenty readers who use this code, good for a $20 delivery fee credit: BHBITES20.  Now hurry up and go get your discounted grub on, y'all!  You're welcome, in advance!**

.

As if the ‘Sunday blues’ weren’t bad enough, the thought of cooking dinner made me cringe.  Plus, my fridge resembled that of a male college student’s – 3 beers, a stick of butter, ½ of an onion, and jam - so, clearly, there wasn't much I could do.  After having perused the offerings on Seamless Web, I wasn’t that intrigued.  Before getting in to an “I miss the abundance of restaurants and conveniences in NYC” tizzy, I remembered my colleague mentioning another delivery service called “Postmates."  After doing a search online, I was informed that in order to proceed, I would have to download the Postmates app.  Sigh.  As if my iPhone didn't already have enough crap on it.  The gist of Postmates is this: Pick any store or restaurant (regardless of whether they personally deliver or not), and then have your item(s) delivered to you by a “Post Mate” for a fee starting at $5.  Best of all, there’s real-time tracking and ETAs, so you know exactly when you’ll receive your goods!

In true fashion, it was Mexican food that I was craving.  I was impressed by all of the mouth-watering options on Postmates that went lightyears above and beyond those on Seamless.  Basically, you’re not restricted to just your neighborhood or one “class” of restaurant.  I ultimately chose to order dinner from Don Antonio's, a spot that I recall having salivated over while watching Speidi's first anniversary dinner on The Hills.

After seamlessly placing my order through the Postmates app, I was able to track the status of my delivery through a live map!  And, in under an hour, my meal was hand-delivered by a friendly Post Mate.  Warm and intact.




Mmmmm, look at all of the residual cheese grease on the box (pictured above)!  Delicious handmade tortilla chips and a cup of robust salsa complimented my meal.  To wash it all down, I ordered and iced horchata, which wasn't as sweet and satisfying as I had hoped.  However, my entree made up for it: A trio of cheese enchiladas came enveloped in a bland, red ranchero sauce and was accompanied by perfectly cooked and seasoned rice and refried beans.



My first experience with Postmates was an extremely pleasant and successful one.  I cannot wait to use this service again, especially after having seen that Sugarfish, my favorite sushi joint, is listed as one of their "featured stores!!"

...

Lindsay, Beverly Hills Bites