Thursday, November 6, 2014

Traditionally untraditional: Thanksgiving in La La Land

Having moved to Los Angeles 6-months ago, familiarity is something that I am constantly seeking.  Everything in my life, from doctors and veterinarians to my employer and local coffee place, is different.  Because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, I wanted to start a tradition of my own: Dinner at my apartment.  I mean, if anything screams "familiarity," it's the holidays, isn't it?  Even if they're spent in different locales, we still bring our traditions, recipes, and warm memories to the proverbial holiday table.

Since I finally have the square footage required to host a proper holiday meal, I invited my family over for this year's "Turkey Day."  While I have my arsenal of favorite recipes from years past, I've decided to add some new traditions to the mix:
  • Instead of a whole turkey ---> Brined and roasted turkey breast
  • Instead of Parker House rolls ---> BLT Fish's Cheddar & Chive Biscuits
  • Instead of mashed potatoes ---> Macaroni & Cheese
  • Instead of sweet potato casserole ---> Roasted vegetables
BLT Fish's Cheddar & Chive Biscuits
And the dishes that will remain untouched are:
  • Leila's famous brisket
  • Green Bean Casserole
  • Stuffing
  • Homemade cranberry sauce
  • Pumpkin, apple, and pecan pies
My homemade Salted Caramel Apple Pie
Upon reviewing my menu, I can't help but wonder: When/how in the hell am I going to cook everything?

I'd love to hear about your favorite Thanksgiving traditions and, if you're willing, swap some recipes: Lindsay@TheLunchBelle.com.

...

Lindsay, Beverly Hills Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment