Thursday, September 25, 2014

Single and the City: Am I Maleficent?

…so, about two nights ago, I begrudgingly went to see Maleficent with my mom, my sister, and my sister’s fiancĂ©.  As you probably know by now, the movie is based on Disney’s classic, “Sleeping Beauty,” a film that I obsessively watched so often as a child, I could recite each line – and reenact every scene – by heart.

From about the first twenty or so minutes in to the film, I realized that there were some serious moral stories behind the fairy tale.  Is that news to you all?  If not, I wouldn’t be surprised; I’m always the last to know/figure anything out.  It reinforced the fact, at least in my jaded world, that we were all once happy-go-lucky little girls who naively went about our days smiling and dancing.  That was, until a boy came around and broke our hearts.  And, for some, it only took that one heart-break for us to quickly build an iron-clad wall/barrier so that no one else could ever hurt us, again.  Just like Maleficent, herself, we went from sweet and doe-eyed to vengeful, calculating witches who refuse to forgive, trust, or let anyone else in to our cold, lonely worlds.

male

When the movie ended, both the credits and this famous song began to play, simultaneously.  And that’s when I lost my shiz.  I’m kidding.  Kind of.  But I couldn’t stop the tears that were uncontrollably streaming down my face.  Eck.  Why the hell was I crying?  It was a G-rated movie, for god’s sake!  Was it because I hadn’t heard that song since I was a pure, innocent four-year old who played dress-up and knew every word to that said song and movie?  Or was it because I finally realized, at the ripe age of thirty-three, that I, too, had spent the past sixteen years imprisoned by my own protective wall/barrier?

As much as I didn’t really want to see Maleficent (I’m not much of a film buff these days, unless it’s a documentary), I’m really glad that I did.  The movie made me realize that, if I ever want to find love, I have to try even harder to knock down the barbed wire and thorny bushes that surround my heart.  For I certainly cannot let another sixteen years fall by the wayside.
Have you seen Maleficent yet?  If so, what are your thoughts on the film?  I’d love to hear from you!



Lindsay, Beverly Hills Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment