Thursday, September 25, 2014

Reviewed: Taqueria Los Anaya

Restaurant: Taqueria Los Anaya
  • Cuisine: Mexican
  • Location: 4651 W. Adams Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90016
  • Pricing: $ 
  • What's delicious: Handmade chips, tortillas (do NOT come here if you're low-carbing)
  • Perfect for: Full service dining (many authentic Mexican restaurants don't offer waiter service)
  • FYI: BYOB-friendly
...

Being that we were approximately 170-strong in NYC, I decided to start an "LA Mexican Food Lovers' Meetup" in my new town.  After all, this would be the first Mexican food-centric group on Meetup in Los Angeles.  Shocking, right?  Especially in a town that's known for their comida!  Our inaugural lunch was held this past Saturday at noon at Taqueria Los Anaya, located in South LA.



Customers can choose to order their food at a counter, or be served table side.  Our group of five chose the latter.  Upon being seated, our water glasses were filled and drink orders were taken.  I requested chips, salsa, and guacamole for each side of the table knowing that, if anyone ate as much of this stuff as I did, we'd be in trouble.  Quickly.



Each component of the "holy trinity" (chips, salsa, and guacamole) was dynamite.  It was obvious, both to the naked eye and after the very first bite, that the chips were made in-house.  As someone who thinks that pico-de-gallo is a waste of time, I appreciated that this particular salsa, while liquid-y in consistency, boasted healthy nibs of fresh onion, tomato, and cilantro.  The best of both salsa worlds - pico and liquid-y - if you will.  Although one of the members commented that the guacamole was too creamy, I appreciated its simplicity and how perfectly it was seasoned.   
After polishing off more than a handful of "holy trinity" rounds, our entrees arrived.  In true fashion, I ordered the cheese enchiladas with green sauce that were accompanied by rice and beans.



Both the rice and beans were cooked perfectly, cementing one of the reasons why I moved to the City of Angels.  Perhaps if I wasn't so full, I would have enjoyed the enchiladas more but, at this point in the meal, everything began to lose its appeal.
I would love to return and re-sample this identical entree, as the corn tortillas were thick and handmade - the Oaxacan cheese, unlike the variety that is used in New York, melted like a dream - and the tomatillo sauce was thick and tangy.
The best aspect of all, though?  The bill.  My portion of the check was $11.44!  Did I mention that the orders of chips/salsa/guac were on my tab?  Pretty damn good, especially for this pricing-jaded New Yorker.

...

Lindsay, Beverly Hills Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment